UPSC Mains Exam: Booklist and Strategy for Tamil Literature Optional.
Here we present a booklist and strategy for Tamil Literature optional of UPSC Mains Exam.
The Tamil Literature Optional paper for UPSC Mains Exam has two papers (Paper I and II) each for 250 Marks and the duration of each paper is 3 hours.
Find below the recommended booklist for Tamil Literature Optional Subject, which includes optional and compulsory language subjects.
Booklist for Tamil Literature Optional Subject
- Tamil ilakkiya varalaru – Madhu Sa. Vimalanandam
- Oppilakkiya kotpaadu – Ka.Na.Kailasapathy
- Naatupura iyal aaivu – Su.Sakthivel
- Ulaga sevviyal mozhigalin varisaiyil tamil – V.C. Kulandaisamy
- Valluvar padaikkum vaiyathu sorkkam – V.C. Kulandaisamy
- Tamil mozhiyum varalarum – Devira
- Tamil thiranaaivum panpaadum – Devira
- Tamizhar valartha azhagu kalaigal – Mayilai seeni Vengadasamy
- Ithazhiyal – Su. Sakthivel
- Tholkappiar kanda samudaayam – Dr. Natesan
Preparation Strategy for Paper I
Candidates should know the UPSC Syllabus of this optional subject very well.
One should solve UPSC Previous Years’ Question Papers.
Below give are some important topics that one should focus on while preparing for Paper-I of this subject.
- History of Tamil Language
- History of Tamil Literature
- Devotional literature
- Recent trends in Tamil Studies
- Folk literature in Tamil
- Cultural Heritage of the Tamils
Preparation Strategy for Paper II
Important topics to be covered for Paper II
The paper II tests the critical ability of the candidate; hence one must be thorough with the Text prescribed in the syllabus.
- Ancient Literature
- Epic Literature
- Folk Literature
Some basic preparation tips
- At least study for 8 hours in a day.
- One should have in-depth knowledge of each concept.
- Ideally, it takes 5-6 months to cover the syllabus of this optional paper.
- Candidates should practice answer writing to enhance their writing skills.
- While attempting Essay one should spend 40 minutes and not more than that and also it is advised to cover other sections on the question paper first and then move on to Essay lastly as they will get enough time and the flow of thought and ideas will flow freely.
- Candidates should make a habit of reading newspaper in this language at least for 15 minutes in a day.
- Since the optional paper plays a crucial role in deciding the final rank of candidates; one should not take this paper lightly.
- Last but not least it is advised to aspirants not to go for selective reading as selective reading is not helpful always.