UPSC Mains Exam: Booklist for Electrical Engineering Optional
Here’s a compilation of a list of IAS books for Electrical Engineering Optional Subject for UPSC Mains.
Booklist for Electrical Engineering Optional Paper I
- Circuit Theory: A. Chakrabarti(Dhanpat Rai)
- Signals and systems: Oppenheim and Willsky. For DFT/FFT, refer toOppenheim’sbook on DSP. For better coverage of z-transform, refer any Indian author.(I had Sanjay Sharma’s book)
- E.M. Theory:K.D. Prasad. For Smith chart and other minor topics left refer Jordan & Balmain.
- Analog Electronics:J.B. Gupta. For topics like feedback amplifiers and any other topics not covered well in that book refer Sedra & Smith.
- Digital Electronics: M.Morris Mano
- Energy Conversion:Ashfaq Hussain. For topics not covered in detail referFitzgerald.
- Power Electronics and Electric Drives:PS Bhimbra
- Analog Communication:(a) Simon Haykin(b) BP Lathi (c) Singh and Sapre(TMH)
Booklist for Electrical Engineering Optional Paper II
- Control Systems:Nagrath & Gopal
- Microprocessors and Microcomputers:RS Gaonkar
- Measurement and Instrumentation:AK Sawhney
- Power Systems:(a) Nagrath and Kothari(b) CL Wadhwa
- Power System Protection:(a) CL Wadhwa(only chapters of psp, circuit breaker) (b)Badriram &Vishwakarma
- Digital Communication:Same as Analog Communication. For Data Networks and 7-layered architecture I referred Forouzan(TMH).
Below-given is the major topics covered under the Electrical Engineering Optional Subject of UPSC Mains Exam.
Major Topics in Electrical Engineering Optional Paper– I
- Circuit Theory
- Signals & Systems
- E.M. Theory
- Analog Electronics
- Digital Electronics
- Energy Conversion
- Power Electronics and Electric Drives
- Analog Communication
Major Topics in Electrical Engineering Optional Paper– II
- Control Systems
- Microprocessors and Microcomputers
- Measurement and Instrumentation
- Power Systems: Analysis and Control
- Power System Protection
- 6. Digital Communication