UPSC Mains Exam: Booklist and Strategy for Public Administration Optional
Public Administration is regarded as a popular, best and most scoring optional subject though it has lost its charm in the recent past, yet this subject is preferred for UPSC Mains optional paper by many aspirants.
With the changed UPSC Exam Pattern, the approach to cover this subject has also changed. Hence to guide the aspirants in their preparation, here we bring the booklist and strategy for public administration optional.
General Reference Books for Public Administration Paper II
- Prasad and Prasad for Thinkers
- Public Administration by R.B. Aribam (Radhabinod Aribam)
- Sharma and Sadana for Personnel Administration, Financial Administration
- Nicholas Henry for paradigms in Public Admin, Budgetary Models, Public Policy
- Mohit Bhattacharya – New Horizons
- Mohit Bhattacharya – Social Theory and Development Admin for Anti-development, thesis, women empowerment.
- Capability Approach of Amartya Sen for Bureaucracy and Development
Booklist for Public Administration Paper II
- ARC Reports
- Punchhi Commission Reports for topics like Governor, Emergency, Financial relations between centre and states, Planning Commission, Security issues
- Indian Public Administration by Arora & Goyal
- Magazines like Yojana and Kurukshetra are helpful for current issues on Panchayats, women, developmental issues; the impact of decentralization-case studies etc.
- The Hindu Editorials
- Other important government reports like Law Commission Report on electoral reforms
- Reports like ADR for democratic reforms, SCOPE(Standing Conference of Public Enterprises.
- Economic Survey
- Plan Document for info on schemes and PPP (Public-Private Partnership)
General Reference Books for Public Administration
- Public administration in theory and practice – M.P. Sharma and B.L Sadan
- Public administration – Mohit Bhattacharya
- Modern public administration – Nigro and Nigro
- Theories and principles of administration: Administrative thinkers – Prasad & Prasad
- Principles of management – Terry and Frankline
- Administrative Behaviors: Managing organizational behavior – Paul Hersey & Kenneth Blanchard
- Personal Administration – Public personal administration – O. Glennstal
- Financial administration: Financial administration of India – M.J.K. Thavaray
- Comparative administration: public administration a comparative perspective – Ferrel Heady or Comparative public administration – Ramesh
- Control over administration: Public administration – Avasthi & Maheswari
- Central administration in India: Central administration – A. Avasthi
- Civil Services in India: Indian administration – S.R. Maheswari, State
- District and local administration: State administration – J.D. Shukla
- District administration — S. S. Khera
- Local Government in India – S.R. Maheshwari
- Laxmikant’s guide (for clearing conepts)
- IGNOU Study Materials
- IJPA articles on relevant topics
- Current Affairs
Topic Wise Books for Public Administration Optional
- Indian Administration – Ramesh K. Arora & Rajni Goyal.
- Indian Administration – S.R. Maheswari.
- Administrative Theory – Avasti & Avasti
- Public Administration – Avasti & Maheswari.
- Administrative Thinkers – R. Prasad and Prasad.
- Administrative Thinkers – S.R. Maheswari.
- Public Administration – Sadan and Sharma
- Local Government – S.R. Maheswari.
- New Horizons of Public Administration – Mohit Bhattacharya.
- Public Administration Theory and concepts – Rumki Basu
- Indian Constitution – D.D. Basup (or) Pandey.
- Public Administration and Public Affairs – Nicholas Henry.
- Modern Public Administration – Nigro and Nigro.
Chapter-Wise Booklist for Public Administration Optional Paper I
- Chapter-I : Introduction : Mohit Bhattacharya: New Horizons of Public Administration
Nicholas Henry : Public Administration and Public Affairs Special Issues of Indian Journal of Public Administration
- Chapter-II : Theories of Administration: D. Ravindra Prasad, V.S. Prasad and P. Satyanarayana
Administrative Thinkers, D. Gvishiani Organisation and Management: A Critique of Western Theories
- Chapter-III : Structure of Public Organizations : R.K. Jain : Public Sector Undertakings
and Mohit Bhattacharya : New Horizons of Public Administration
- Chapter-IV : Administrative Behaviour : Paul Hersey : Organisational Behaviour
Stephen P. Robbin : Organisational Behaviour
- Chapter-V : Accountability and Control : Mohit Bhattacharya
New Horizons of Public Administration, Special Issues of Indian Journal of Public Administration on Accountability
- Chapter-VI: Administrative Public Administration: Massey : Administrative Public Administration or M.P. Jain : Administrative Public Administration,
- Chapter-VII : Administrative Reforms : P.R. Dubbashi
Administrative Reforms G.E. Gaiden : Administrative Reforms
- Chapter-VIII : Comparative Public Administration
Ferrel Heady : Public Administration-A Comparative Perspective
R.K. Arora : Comparative Public Administration
- Chapter-IX : Development Administration : Ferrel Heady : Public Administration – A Comparative Perspective or R.K. Arora : Comparative Public Administration
- Chapter-X : Public Policy : IGNOU Lessons on Public Policy R. K. Sapra : Public Policy
- Chapter-XI : Personnel Administration
O Glenn Stahl : Public Personnel Administration
S. L. Goel : Personnel Administration in India.
- Chapter-XII : Financial Administration
M. J. K. Thavaraj, Public Financial Administration
G.S. Lal : Financial Administration in India
IGNOU Lessons on Financial Administration
Chapter-Wise Booklist for Public Administration Optional Paper II
- Chapter-I : Evolution of Indian Administration
B.N. Puri Administrative History of India (Vol. I, II )
- Chapter-II: Constitutional Framework – D. D. Basu An Introduction to the Constitution of India
- Chapter-III: Union Government and Administration – Central Administration by A. Avasthi
- Chapter-IV: State Government and Administration – J.D. Shukla State Administration
- Chapter-V: District Administration – T.N. Chaturvedi District Administration and Special Issue of Indian Journal of Public Administration on District Administration
- Chapter-VI: Local Government – S.R. Maheswari Local Government in India
- Chapter-VII: Public Sector in India – R. K. Jain Public Sector Undertakings, Annual Survey on Public Sector of Department of Public Enterprises
- Chapter-VIII: Public Services – S.L. Goel Personnel Administration in India
- Chapter-IX : Control of Public Expenditure
M. J. K. Thavaraj Financial Administration
IGNOU Lessons on Financial Administration
- Chapter-X : Administrative Reforms
P.R. Dubbashi Administrative Reforms
S. R. Maheswari Administrative Reforms
Special Issue of Indian Journal of Public Administration on Administrative Reforms
- Chapter-XI: Machinery for Planning; A. Avasthi Central Administration
- Chapter-XII : Administration of Public Administration and Order
K. K. Sharma Public Administration and Order Administration in India
K. J. Guha Roy, District Policing
- Chapter-XIII : Welfare Administration
Annual Reports of Department of Social Welfare
- Chapter-XIV : Major Issues in Indian Administration -Good Governance
Special Issue of Indian Journal Public Administration on Indian Administration, Retrospect and Prospect